Monday, September 7, 2009

A new beginning to an old problem.

I will assume that you are reading this because of an interest in PTSD. Whether you suffer from PTSD or know someone that does chances are that you will have more questions than answers. I am a Desert Storm Vet diagnosed with PTSD in 2003. Yes it took 11 years for someone at the VA to realize I was dealing with some major issues. Getting a diagnosis, I was one of the fortunate ones. My father a Vietnam Vet was not so lucky, he put a bullet in his head in 1995 after years of alcoholism and depression stemming from his undiagnosed PTSD. I do not have a tremendous amount of information that will be the key to making everything better. I do have years of experience in living with and suffering from this condition. I have found this condition to be an ever evolving and mysteriously disruptive force in my life. Political correctness is not my forte' and I will put my opinions out there with no sugar or excuses for its to the point bluntness. There are people out there right now having their lives destroyed by this condition. It must stop! Awareness is the first step to getting this epidemic of destruction stopped. We cannot and I would not suggest that we run from military action, I am and will be a strong supporter of our military and the job they do. However, I am appalled at the lack of preparation that the VA and all branches of the armed forces are putting forth to educate our troops and their families on the real threat that PTSD has and can have in the years following military service. We have had entire generations of men and women in this country affected by this condition without any resources for diagnoses and treatment. We still have very little viable treatment plans for those who have been diagnosed. Before I became aware of PTSD I had a stereotype of returning vets as violent, alcoholics and or drug addicts that refused to assimilate back into society after service. Many vets have been portrayed as such in movies and other media for years. In fact I have learned watching the History Channel that many of the violent biker gangs that still exist in this country were originally formed by returning vets that could not assume a role in society that was socially acceptable so they banded together to form groups where they found understanding and acceptance. I have struggled to understand my condition and why I can not seem to just get along with others. I find our society weak and spineless and I have very little respect for the soft and nonconfrontational people we as a whole have become. People sit around and wait for someone else to do something about their problems. I want to motivate PTSD vets to stand up and do something for themselves. I will continue to write in this blog as often as possible and I will share my experiences openly with you. I intend on starting a movement to save our vets and their families from this invasive and unforgiving condition. Please feel free to join me in my quest because I value my freedom and even more than that the men and women who ensure I keep it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog