Wednesday, September 9, 2009

No Warrior Left Behind

I would like to take this opportunity to share my feelings about my fellow warriors and my commitment to them. For those of us who served we all know that we don't leave a fellow wounded soldier on the battlefield. Right now, at this very moment there are men and women in many theatres of combat defending us, our country, our values and our way of life. Most of us are well aware of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and certainly my thoughts are with the troops serving over there. I want to point out the warriors that have returned home and are now fighting a new enemy on a new and rarely defined battlefield. PTSD is a war fought within the minds of our nations hero's that were fortunate enough to return home after service to our country. That is the battlefield that I am concerned with now that I too have made it home. To ignore the wounds sustained to our warriors minds is to leave them forever on the battlefield. Make no mistake about it, PTSD is a combat related wound. Honor is a quality that all warriors hold close to their hearts. Honor is a principle that drives a warrior in combat. Honor is what drives me to reach out to our wounded veterans and encourage them in a time of need. There is no dishonor in be wounded. However, do not allow yourself to be dishonored by not engaging the enemy on the battlefield. Do not allow PTSD to go unchecked. PTSD has many faces and may not appear the same in each individual. It is a destructive condition that we are really just starting to understand. Many veterans feel that it is somehow a weakness to have this injury. It most certainly is not a weakness, in fact it is your courage that placed you in a position to receive this wound. It will be your courage that leads you to get the help you need to overcome this wound. Don't leave yourself on the battlefield. Show your courage for yourself, your family and honor your fallen comrades by getting the help you need for this injury. Countless warriors have made the ultimate sacrifice so that we may live the life we enjoy. We owe it to them to do just that. Live and enjoy your life. Take the intiative to talk to a professional if you or your family suspects PTSD may be affecting your life. I am committed to helping you and me overcome this combat injury.

OperationPTSD

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your dedication. I don't know what has "prompted" you to start your blog and join Twitter, but I for one, truly appreciate you standing up to "defend your honor."

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog