Tuesday, September 15, 2009

No plan survives first contact.

For anyone who has been in the heat of combat you know the best laid plans rarely maintain their relevancy far into the battle. Any combat scenario is a fluid and ever evolving environment. That is were a sound knowledge in theory of tactics comes into play. This is why we have leaders on the battlefield. They have the ability to assess the situation and make changes in tactical approach as things change. I have noticed that some of my PTSD symptoms remain constant, however there has been an evolution in others. The triggers change, my reactions change, the consequences change! This makes approaching treatment challenging. We need an approach that can be fluid and highly adaptable. Traditional medicine is NOT working. I have tried several different approaches. At the VA they love that prescription pad! They also have a difficult time providing consistent appointments and schedules. The groups I went to for OIF and OEF, the time and day was always the same but the faces and topics changed so often there was basically no direction followed. It was just a place to go and complain, whine, cry and get depressed from hearing other peoples horror stories. Ending with the question, how are your meds treating you? "Well, I am just as squirrely (miserable, depressed, ect...) as I was last time I saw you," is the normal response. Then the big brush off with, "I am sorry, I hope you get to feeling better." Ever been to THAT meeting? As a matter of fact a close Ex-Navy friend of mine was told there was nothing that could be done to help him except a prescription. This was just about 6 months ago.
Wouldn't it be nice to take a different approach? How about a successful approach? How about a therapy session that includes something you have a genuine love and passion for? Or what about a treatment plan that had the intention of actually freeing you from the grip of PTSD? I have been introduced to it via a real life success story. Listen closely, this does exist! Before you are ready to start something like this, you need to get in touch with your absolute desire to be something different. Not a victim, but that confident and strong person that doesn't accept defeat. I am currently making the transformation from victim to victor! I haven't even started the therapy and just the decision I made not to be a weak and helpless victim anymore has already reduced some of my symptoms. It doesn't hurt that I have access to a fantastic network of very talented people.
So who is it? Do tell! This is the response I get to that last statement. Before I just lay it all out there for you, I want to make sure that the people I start to refer for this help are truly seeking to be cured of this illness. This is not what you have been doing and it is not what most people are doing for PTSD. The interesting thing is the ratio of PTSD victims I have met to PTSD victors. I have met lots of victims and OUR story is almost universal. There is some comfort in that. The knowledge that someone else feels like me. But that means someone else is just suffering like me. People there is no comfort in knowing you all are out there feeling terrible like me! I'm tired of it! If you are that tired of it, then make contact with me in my comment section or DM me on twitter. I will be glad to share the direction I am heading and the end result is freedom from this insidious illness.
There is good reason for me to be somewhat discrete in the dissemination of this information, I don't want to see half hearted attempts at recovery. That sort of thing leads to failure and frustration and the cycle continues. For me to be a leader in recovery and help people to be symptom free, I need to have people who really want it. The results will speak for themselves. This is not a secret handshake or the wave of a magic wand. Its a map to complete recovery and a chance to regain happiness and joy in your life. I need candidates that are ready for change. I challenge you ex-military to follow me and lead the way for others who need a good example to follow. Go do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog