Monday, October 5, 2009

The Enemy or is it The In me?

After attending a VA group therapy session for PTSD Veterans from OIF and OEF. I realized what a lack of basic PTSD knowledge exists among the Veterans suffering from PTSD. Knowledge is key when attempting to engage any problem. A primary element in any military operation is intelligence. You must know the location, and scale of the enemy you intend to engage. I sat among 5 young men ranging in age from 25 to 29. They were all of above average intelligence, but clearly not aware of the effects of PTSD as an illness. Why is the VA not doing more to educate these Veterans? After sitting quietly and observing them for about thirty minutes and listening to them tell stories of suffering from rage, followed by depression and then turning to alcohol or other substances to cope.

I started to speak. I was a little angry myself, angry that these men had been coming to this same meeting every two weeks for months on end to rehash the same old tired stories from the week previous. They had learned nothing to help them battle back against the cause of their constant cycles. I asked if they knew the definition of insanity. I explained that doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result was insanity. They seemed shocked that I would take a firm tone with them and offer something other than a victims perspective. I asked if they had any ideas about how to deal with everyday issues they faced. No response! I saw warriors staring at the floor, lost and without any idea of where to start.

When I was on active duty, the Navy always had a "Plan of the day" and it provided everyone with a specific set of goals to accomplish for that day. What a novel idea!
Setting a goal and working toward it. One of the main issues they had been dealing with was the lack of clarity in the morning to decide what to do with themselves all day. They would end up sleeping half the day and then be angry with themselves for not being successful. Then get depressed and turn to substance abuse to cope. Rinse and repeat.

I was not shocked to hear this, because I have done it for years. And all the while under VA care for PTSD. Imagine that! I told them it would continue until THEY decided to do something different. I suggested they sit down and write themselves a "Plan of the day" so that they could have a guideline to follow. Wake up and follow the plan! If you can read you can accomplish goals by applying this very basic technique. Accomplishments were the one bright spot in our conversation. The only time I saw a twinkle in the eyes of these men was while they described an accomplishment. They all said that periods in their lives when things seemed better was triggered by some sort of success.

Okay, that being said, lets formulate a plan to bring success. Starting with goal setting. Most people don't plan to fail, they fail to plan. One very simple way to reverse the negative cycle. Make a plan. Train your mind and your ass will follow!
Don't plan to conquer the world, make a plan you are comfortable executing. Do it everyday and gain momentum. Allow yourself room to make mistakes and allow your momentum to propel you to greater goals. Feed off of success and not failure.

Education is key. I saw some enthusiasm at the end of the meeting and they asked if I planned on returning for the next meeting. I told them I would put it in my "Plan of the day." In a very brief amount of time we had come up with a viable solution to a very big issue. Now my main problem is outreach. I am limited to the amount of people I can educate because I have a capital issue. I need the funds to start a much, much larger outreach. I need your help. I need to educate more people and motivate them to send more people to me for that education. I am living off of disability for a shoulder injury that has ended my ability to earn a living the way I always have. So I decided to change my plan from building things to rebuilding lives.

Help me help other Veterans and their families. My wife has agreed to shift her career focus to helping the wives and family members of Veterans with PTSD. With your support we can set larger goals and gain momentum. Corporate money is the goal but that will be accomplished only with a track record. For now individual support is crucial. The troops need to shift their focus from the "Enemy to the In Me." Education will give them the tools to make that shift. If you wish to make a donation, contact me at the link provided in the "About Me" section. Or if you know of a place I could go and speak to a large group of Veterans I would be happy to come and do that!


Thank You America,

IamOperationPTSD

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog